Jul 26, 2011

Star Trek Pizza Cutter

If you watch The Big Bang Theory or Chuck and can easily relate to the characters, envy their cool gadgets and want them in your house, there’s a way. You can easily find the same novelties they use in those TV shows at thinkgeek.com. One of the best buy you fellow nerds can find is the Star Trek Pizza Cutter that is also an officially licensed collectible modeled after the Original Series’ NCC-1701 Enterprise.

The Pizza Cutter is created by ThinkGeek’s own GeekLabs, where the magic, or madness, happens. This is one of their best-selling products and, after only a year from its release, the ThinkGeek website displays 15,141 Facebook “likes”. Google AdWords shows, on approximately one month average of user queries, that the words “Star Trek Pizza Cutter” were searched online 2,900 times globally. I decided to call the ThinkGeek base of operations in Fairfax, VA. in the sight of a more personal story on this fabulous gadget. The first time, I got a hold of a fellow in customer service named Brian which, sadly, wasn’t very helpful with my questions and felt like he was just there for his summer allowance. After a bit, I tried again and this time, it’s young gentleman by the name of Dan. After many goofy attempts of keeping our calls stable due to his poor internet signal, we finally had a super geeky and delightful chat about his experience, as a Trekker, with the infamous pizza cutter. “I bought it right away when it first came out and is just the coolest thing ever!” he shared with me. “It’s also super sturdy and is really well made. I’m a huge Trekker and I think it’s the coolest product we sell so far. The box in which it comes in is the best part of it. It has an authentic collectible feel to it.” So I asked him if he started eating more pizza so he could use it more and he simply said, “oh, I never used it to cut pizza! It looks way to valuable and never really wanted to use it as such. I just bought a normal cheap cutter for the few times I actually buy or cook pizza!” So then, since I noticed he was getting confortable with my questions, I asked him what character he thinks would appreciate or enjoy the utensil on either Star Trek TNG or The Original Series and why. After he laughed and reflected, he said, “Wow, I guess I would have to say Geordi LaForge in TNG, my favourite series. I know he would love the design. Definitely his thing”. Final question, Kirk or Picard? “Ouch! That’s a brutal question! Years ago, I would’ve said Kirk in a heartbeat, but Picard grew on me over time… So, Picard it is!”

The super sleek stainless steel and chromium plated replica of the Federation’s Star ship never looked cooler while serving as one of the first useful kitchen-tech gadget with the scope of satisfying Trekkers.

Emi B.

No comments:

Post a Comment